Tuesday 9 July 2013

A Little Gem


I have stumbled across a little gem of a cafe at the bottom of Broughton Street. Nothing fancy, just your typical sandwich shop/takeaway/cafe which are dotted in and around Edinburgh.  I only popped in to buy a baked spud and realised once I once in there I had struck lucky. Three out of the four homemade 'treats' on display were gluten-free, including a large slap of millionaire's shortcake; my favourite! It would have been rude not to buy a piece (cycling home tonight so it's allowed!).

Aside from the sweet stuff I could see that the focus was on homemade and once I had ordered my potato I noticed that they also serve up gluten-free pasta. I'll have to give it a try!

Back to my humble baked spud with tuna & sweetcorn, I have to say it's the best spud I've tasted. The potato itself (I am eating as I type) has that lovely soft middle, the kind you get when a potato has been baked in a proper oven. The tuna mayo - I need to know their secret! Peppery, not too creamy and jam packed full of sweetcorn; just how I like it.

There were little extras too; as well as the lovely person serving, the spud came in a cardboard (and not the usual polystyrene) takeaway box which I can recycle at work. The cutlery whilst still plastic was above your average quality (which are often nigh on impossible to eat with) and I was asked if I would like some extra salt or pepper. For £3 I felt it was excellent value for money.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment