Monday 17 February 2014

Wheat free - what does it mean to me?


Hello! It's been a while. I've not done much blogging however I have done plenty pondering. Whilst at a friend's over Christmas (which seems a million miles away now) we got chatting about the ups and downs of recognising (and in many cases admitting to yourself) that something in your diet may not agree with you and the implications of cutting it out.

For me it was wheat. I suffered for years (as far back as being a teenager) however it took a lot of persuasion for me to cut it out. Probably because it seemed such a simple solution (why had the GP never suggested it?) but such a drastic one. And at the time it did feel drastic. Cutting out sandwiches, pasta, cakes...all the things I love.

Anyway, this post is about focusing on the positives so here goes. So what does having a wheat intolerance (or "special dietary requirement" as it's referred to) mean to me? Here are my top ten.

It means
  1. Being more in control of what you are eating (as you know what all the "hidden ingredients" are).
  2. Cooking fresh and never relying on ready made meals.
  3. Having lovely home baked goodies every week.
  4. Having more variety, especially at lunchtime. Sandwiches are replaced with soups, salads, baked potatoes or little pots of leftovers from dinner the night before.
  5. Going to a party and not being to eat all the sandwiches, sausage rolls and nibbles from the buffet - but then going home and feeling good that you haven't eaten all the sandwiches, sausage rolls and nibbles from the buffet!
  6. A sense of satisfaction when people taste your food and "can't taste the difference"
  7. Going to a restaurant and liking the fact they go the extra mile with the Gluten Free menu (and trust me, many do these days).
  8. Going to nice coffee shops and having lemon drizzle (polenta) cake or not feeling guilty about eating the crispy cakes meant for kiddies.
  9. Adapting menus and publishing my own ones.
  10. Keeping this blog and writing about my own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment