Tuesday 14 May 2013

Week 17 of the Recipe Challenge


Week 17 - Three Good Things - Lemon curd, blueberry and Yoghurt

With a whole chicken sitting in the fridge it was decided this week to go a bit retro and have chicken chasseur. No idea why, but anyway the recipe I wanted to use was from a book already featured in this challenge. This left no alternative but to rustle up a desert and with thoughts of an equally retro lemon meringue pie in my mind I stumbled across a recipe in Hugh's Three Good Things. No pie, but the lemon curd was there.

Lemon curd is one of these things that just has to be homemade. Shop bought (even the finest of finest) just doesn't live up to the mark. With that in mind I set about finding a few empty jars as the recipe stated it would make three.

As I set about making the curd with freshly laid eggs I did start to dream about living somewhere hot where I could also use freshly picked lemons. Shop bought sadly had to do.

Now I've made lemon curd before however never in this way. The method involved a bain-marie  (that's a bowl set over some simmering water). Now who am I to question the mighty Hugh so I followed the instructions and to my dismay the curd wouldn't set. In an attempt to the salvage the curd (as the smell was amazing) I tipped the mixture straight into the pan and a few minutes later, hey presto we were back on track.

Once cooled, it was mixed with some natural yoghurt and blueberries and the flavour sensation was wonderful. So simple a desert.

Sorry Hugh; thumbs up for the recipe but thumbs down for the method. 

No comments:

Post a Comment