Monday 16 September 2013

Frittata without the Potata!


On Saturday I mixed a new passion (cycling) with with an old one (food) and took a leisurely trip with my eldest to Craigie Farm near Edinburgh. The route took us over the Forth Road Bridge via South Queensferry (a favourite cake stop of mine).

Those that have been to Craigie Farm will agree that the cycle up the hill to the top is rewarded by lovely views over the Forth, a sense of being in the countryside (even though you are near to the A90) and a delicious cafe. We headed straight to the cafe!

Arriving at lunchtime meant the queues were big and it was a bit chaotic but it was worth the wait. I opted for the frittata and it wasn't until I sat down I realised that it wasn't made with traditional potatoes but with Sweet Potato and a layer of green beans. Coupled with homemade coleslaw and pickled beetroot it was delicious and it made me think that frittata could be made with any vegetables.

The story leads me onto yesterday where I was stuck in with a toddler and the most horrendous weather, so with no car there was no way I was heading to the shop on foot. After rummaging about in the fridge I found some (slightly) out of date Gruyere cheese, a Butternut squash and some sugarsnap peas. That would surely do the job?  With four chooks we have an abundance of eggs so I was sorted.

My first dilemma was the best way to cut up the squash. I wanted thin layers so found it easiest to the squash in two (just above where the holey part with seeds in the middle finishes). I took the skin off both then thinly sliced it.

Next dilemma; does it need cooked first? I reckoned yes so popped it in a steamer for a bit. I later found out that you perhaps want it softened slightly, but not cooked.

Now I was raring to go as frittata is regularly on my 'repertoire'. 

I popped some olive oil in a large frying pan, put in a layer of sugarsnap peas and then added the slices of squash on top. I whisked up five eggs, seasoned them with salt and pepper and added chunks of cheese. I then poured this over the squash. 

This cooked away on a low heat until the eggs looked cooked. Time for some grated cheese on top plus some herbs (which I'd forgotten to put in the eggy mixture) and I popped it under the grill until golden brown and crispy.

Served with a nice salad this was a tasty dish. We ate it warm, however as I type just now I am munching into cold leftovers and it is still yummy.

I might cycle over to Craigie next weekend to see what other inspiration I can get... 





No comments:

Post a Comment