Tuesday 22 January 2013

Week 3 of the Recipe Challenge

2013 Recipe Book Challenge

52 weeks - 52 recipe books - 52 new recipes 

Inspired by  The Grumbling Tummy

 

Week 3 - Ainsley Harriot Low Fat Meals in Minutes - Virtually Fat Free Falafels 

This recipe book is actually an old favourite of mine. It seems a wee bit lost on the bookshelf amongst some of the 'bigger' TV chefs like Gordon, Jamie and Hugh but I always think back to Ready, Steady Cook with a smile.

I've cooked quick a few recipes from it and the homemade curry paste for the aubergine and potato curry is almost always the starting point for most of my curries. 

Anyway, back to the recipe for this week; falafels - or in my case falafails as they managed to deliver on taste but failed miserably on texture.

To be fair, I think it may have been my fault on this occasion. You use an egg to bind the mixture and I used one of the eggs from a hen which has only just started laying so the egg was perhaps on the small side. The recipe also said to "lightly spray the balls with oil". As I couldn't find the spray thingy I just rubbed a little on top with my finger. The end result was tasty but very very dry. The kind that stick to the palette of your mouth. Not nice!

I am confident that it was just a blip and not the recipe, so much so that I have cooked another batch of chickpeas and they are all ready to be blitzed when I get home this evening. I am also ditching the 'virtually fat free' part of the recipe and going to fry them in a little oil. Watch this space...


No comments:

Post a Comment