Friday 11 January 2013

Brilliant breakfast loaf


I have a son who isn't wheat-free, however he is a nightmare when it comes to breakfast. He plays an enormous amount of sport, eats a mountain of food however when it comes to breakfast it is a struggle. Breakfast, as he puts it "Isn't his thing".

I am a big believer that breakfast is the most important part of the day so when everyone else is tucking into a hearty bowl of porridge I have to be a bit most creative. Fruit compotes, yoghurt and granola play a big part alongside peanut buttered toast however I am always looking for new ideas.

On opening Michael Macamley's Gluten Free Baking book the first recipe that really caught my eye was the Oat, Pear and Blueberry Breakfast Loaf. Packed with goodness I thought I was onto a winner! 


Since Little Cook got her own baking set from Santa I am no longer on my tod in the kitchen. We both set to work on the straightforward recipe. 

Most of you who read my blog will know by now that it's unusual for me to always have all the necessary ingredients and rather than head to the shop, a rummage in the cupboards will usually suffice.

 






 This time was no different, pears were scarce (they had been used in the cranberry and pear relish) so they were substituted by tinned apricots (breakfast ones, no less!)



It took about ten minutes in the mixer and then we were ready to pop it in the oven. It was a long hour waiting for it to be ready as the aroma in the kitchen was wonderful!

Once it was ready and cooled it was not long before everyone was tucking in. It wasn't even breakfast time, more of an afternoon treat but it hit the spot. In fact it was half eaten before I realised I hadn't taken a photo! So here is what was left of the loaf...

If I had any criticism it would be that the banana overpowered the other fruit. Still tasty though so thumbs up Michael Mc, this is a sure winner and can be eaten for breakfast, afternoon tea and again at supper.



No comments:

Post a Comment