Monday 31 October 2011

Big cook little cook!

As I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, Faye decided that being allowed to watch on the sidelines and put the odd potato in the pan was no longer sufficient. It was time to proper 'help'.  Having a 20 month old stirring and mixing will probably fill lots of you with dread, but it was a quiet Sunday afternoon, we were at a loose end and so I thought to myself it's time to let her loose with some baking. I picked my tried and tasty muffin recipe as it's quick, easy and very little can go wrong. It is also measured in cups as expecting her to operate the kitchen scales was perhaps a bit over-ambitious!

So here is the art of making raspberry muffins al la Faye.

First we add 3 cups of GF plain flour, 3 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1tsp  of Xanthum gum to a big bowl.

VERY serious effort and concentration required here... 
 ...just need to check it's all mixed in with 1/2 cup light brown soft sugar and a pinch of salt.
Now in a separate bowl mix together an egg, 1 1/4 cups milk and 1/4 cup olive oil...
 ...and in a third bowl bash some frozen raspberries. This was a really fun part!
 Now mix everything together. Mummy said with muffins it's really important not to over-mix (but I didn't really listen as it was all gooey and fun)
 
Carefully drop the mixture into a mini muffin pan. Mummy has a really good one that doesn't need oiled or paper cases, the muffins just slip out when they are cooked!
 I like this part a lot!
Can you tell which ones are Mummy's and which ones are mine?
Now Mummy put the muffins in the oven. I wasn't allowed to do this bit as I am not big enough to reach the oven and Mummy said it was very burny!

So I drew a bit whilst they were cooking...
  Once they were ready they looked deeeeeeeelicious
I wasn't very happy as I had to wait until they cooled down on the rack. Mummy said I need to learn some patience.
 
Now is the best bit. I got a glass of milk to go with my tasty muffin and I even licked my lips with excitement!
The good thing with these muffins is there is no paper for them to stick to so you can break them up...
 AND POP THEM STRAIGHT IN YOUR MOUTH...YUM!
They tasted as yummy as Mummy's. We were tempted to eat them all but Mummy said we should keep some for Daddy to try later.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment