Tuesday 23 August 2011

Wheat-free does not = lack of taste!

At the weekend I organised a charity walk in memory of my Uncle Ian and in aid of Starthcarron Hospice. This was the second year organising the event and the deal was you pay an entry fee, walk a scenic 10K route around Bo'ness where I grew up then eat as much home baking as you could manage at the finish line.


Lots of people, including myself baked an obscene amount of goodies and they were all laid out on the tables for folks to enjoy. In true fashion I stuck to my motto of "If I can't eat it I don't make it" so all my tasty bites were wheat-free and the muffins were also dairy-free. I decided to put a little label on the plates, just in case someone was there who had an allergy or intolerance and it meant they could enjoy them too.


What I found interesting was nearly all my home baking was left behind. Now I made almost the same things as last year but never labelled them so I can only conclude that people without allergies are 'put off' these as they think they won't be as nice as 'normal' home bakes. When it comes to buying pre-packaged cakes they are right there is no comparison but I think I can say that you wouldn't taste the difference in mine. In fact I would go as far as saying my muffins are better! I thought this was due to my wonderful baking skills but when on BBD Ed Baines told me that a lot of American bakeries choose to use wheat-free flour when making muffins as it works better than normal flour. Normal flour reacts with the other ingredients (hence why you must never over-stir the mixture).





No comments:

Post a Comment